Really, I just like talking to people art and helping everybody improve. I know I'm not perfect, but we're all in this together, right?
So after Shuto Con, and looking back at my items, and other peoples, I thought, "Hey! I could probably do a panel or two about figure drawing, comic drawing and the like!"
Here's some of the topics I was contemplating:
- Figure Anatomy Discussion (the pg version) - the differences in skeletal structures, muscle structures, body proportion, and how to draw them, and manipulate them to create the characters you want. I would make this FULL of examples from Manga (like, CLAMP. Honestly? They're proportional. I can't complain!)
- Figure Anatomy Drawing Session (pg to pg13 version - depends on your level of prudishness) - 2 hour drawing session, with half filled with a short review on anatomy, followed by some drawing technique, then the last half would be figure drawing with a model (clothed in probably dancer gear if possible). In a perfect world, I'd have supplies for people, but I may have to only suggest they bring sketchbooks. No cameras allowed.
- How to Draw a Comic Discussion - a - 1 to 1.5 hour panel talking about comic page compositions including (but not limited to) panel compositions, the types of panels used, differences between American and Japanese comics, Guiding the reader's eye, and more.
- Drawing Jam - a 2 hour session where people can come in, and just draw for 2 hours with assistance available if needed.
- ADDED: How to Draw Clothing - 1 to 1.5 hour panel discussing how to fabric and folds fall on a human form. Topic include how to give weight and depth to your characters with fabric, and common mistakes that are made.
I guess my big question is... would people be interested in doing this? And are there any other topics I should cover? (Updated! I'll keep adding more as I think of them)
Now I'm trying to figure out how I can demonstrate such things to a large audience, and draw on the spot... I wonder if the tablet will hook up to the outgoing projector? I want to make it as easy to follow as possible.
And really, I think the one thing I WON'T be demonstrating is "how to draw anime/manga" which is the ironic part. I can't make you draw well/better, but I can give you tips to make it so...